Bucharest is the capital of Romania and at the same time the biggest city of the country. It is also an industrial and trading centre. Inhabiting more than 2 million people, Bucharest lies on the 6th place on the list of the largest capitals from The European Union.
Bucharest is one-of-a-kind capital city no tourist should miss when discovering Europe. It is a surprising mix of cultural influences, offering excellent relaxation opportunities and enriching experiences for the business or simply inquisitive traveler.
Contrasting on every cornerstone, “Little Paris” has a multifarious identity, reflecting its rich and controversial history through the wild juxtaposition of the timeless aristocratic values, a strong mark of the totalitarian heritage in recent history and the bustling, cosmopolitan lifestyle of the present.
The Palace of Parliament
– 1997: The 43-rd Annual Session of Nord Atlantic Assembly (NATO Parliamentarians)
– 2002: Prime-ministers’ Summit: “The Spring of New Allies”
– 2007: Romanian Association of Anti-Aging Medicine – The Second International Congress of Anti-Aging Medicine
– 2007: The International Association of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists and Oncologists – The 17th World Congress of Surgeons, Gastroenterologists and Oncologists
– 2009: Public Ministry – General Prosecutor’s Office – The Third World Summit of the Prosecutors General
International Arrival and City Transportation
Henri Coanda Airport
The international airport in Bucharest is at Otopeni. Henri Coanda Airport is located outside the urban area of Bucharest, in Otopeni, Ilfov County.
Bucharest Henri Coanda International Airport is situated at 16,5 km distance from Bucharest down-town. Access roads: The National Road DN 1.
Henri Coanda Airport operates 38 airlines, 11 of them on domestic destinations. For foreign destinations there are 51 scheduled flights and 7 regular charters.
Henri Coanda International Airport (OTP)
Transportation between H. Coanda International Airport and City Center:
Express Bus 783 offers daily service to the city centre.
Transportation between H. Coanda International Airport and the main train station (Gara de Nord):
CITY ESSENTIALS – Transportation
Bucuresti North – main train station (Gara de Nord)
There are daily trains from/to Athens, Belgrade, Budapest, Istanbul, Kiev, Moscow, Prague, Sofia, and Vienna. Trains from/to Western European cities run via Budapest.
Getting to Romania / By Train
To check schedules and fares for all other trains / domestic routes please visit :
Bucharest’s public transportation network includes:
Buses, trams and trolley buses operate – between 5:00am and 11:59pm.
The subway operates – from 5:00am until 11:00pm
Tickets must be purchased beforehand and validated upon boarding. Travelers may be asked to show the validated ticket during the trip. Tickets or passes can be purchased at any kiosk displaying the RATB logo.
The subway (Metrou) is best for travel to longer distance and for getting to the city centre; trains operate – between 5:00am and 11:00pm.
There are four subway (Metrou) lines (M1, M2, M3 and M4). Subway stations are indicated with the letter “M” (blue, on a white board).
The metro, which has four lines (M1, M2, M3, M4) and covers the city quite extensively, is usually a cheap and easy way to get around even though there are surprisingly few stops in the city center, since the system was originally built to transport workers and commuters from outlying neighborhoods through the city to peripheral industrial areas. If you’re staying outside the city center, or even if you want to travel within it, the Metro can be a very fast and convenient way of traveling to your destination, avoiding the traffic jams and crowds that frequently characterize surface transport.
The network is arguably frequent and fairly comfortable, reliable and easy-to-use. Surprisingly for some, it is by far the safest way to travel through the city. Since 2002, Bucharest Metro has embarked on a comprehensive modernization plan, including the replacement of old train-sets with state-of-the-art Bombardier Transportation trains and the renovation of stations and tracks in collaboration with Alstom.
Social Programme Possibilities
ROMANIAN ATHENAEUM – the sanctuary of culture.
Perfect for private concerts/ events (Eastern)
Considered one of the architectonical jewellery of Romania, the building of the Romanian Athenaeum from Bucharest is the “Cultural Society Romanian Athenaeum’s result, founded in 1865 by an enthusiastic group formed of Constantin Esarcu, V. A. Ureche, C. Rosetti, N. Kretulescu, Al. Odobescu and others.
From the outside, the Romanian Athenaeum is formed from a peristyle of six columns in Ionic style, giving the impression of a Greek temple, under which there are, in medallions, the faces of five voivodes of Romania: Neagoe Basarab, Alexandru cel Bun, Vasile Lupu, Matei Basarab and King Carol I. A team of architects gave the dome’s initial former and engineers after Galleron handed the project.
The inside is maybe more impressive then the outside. In the entrance hall there are four winding stairs surrounding some marble columnsof Carrara and decorative sculptures.
The auditorium (28,50 meters in diameter and 16 meters high) having a special acoustics, seats 600 in the stalls and another 52 in loge seating. However, what really moves you in a special way is the 70 meters long fresco and high of 3 meters, realized round about.
It is situated in the northern part of Bucharest. The Triumphal Arch was built in 1922 and it is made of wood and plaster. This arch was built, as a celebration for The Great Union, after the victory of the Romanian armies in the World War I. This wooden arch was replaced by a stone arch somewhere between 1935 and 1936 (this was architect Petre Antonescu’s work).
The southern façade is beautifully ornamented with two bronze medallions that present the faces of King Ferdinand and Queen Maria. On the northern façade, there are two other medallions on which two symbols are carved: “Manhood” and “Faith”. “Manhood” presents a warrior with a sword (work belonging to I. Jalea) and “Faith” is symbolized by a young man with a cross and was created by C.Baraski. The victories above these silhouettes are created by the sculptors D.Onofrei and C.Medrea.
The names of the battles from World War 1 are carved (Marasesti, Oituz etc) on the voussoirs of the Triumphal Arch.
“GRIGORE ANTIPA” NATIONAL MUSEUM OF NATURAL HISTORY
“Grigore Antipa” National Museum of Natural History possesses a great patrimony that includes zoological, palaeontological, ethnographic, minerals and rocks collections. Thanks to the researches done by specialists from abroad and Romania, the donations and acquisitions, the collections of the museum have constantly developed, so that today there are more than 2 millions items.
It is the largest and oldest museum of this kind among all the Danubian countries, including more than 3000.000 exhibits. The richest and most important collection of butterflies in the world can be found here.
MUSEUM OF THE ROMANIAN PEASANT
It is situated in Bucharest on Kiseleff Street, Number 3, near the Victory Square. The museum was build between 1912-1941, according to the architect N. Ghica-Budesti’s plans.
The museum holds ceramics collections, traditional clothes, woven materials for the inside of the house, wooden items, furniture pieces, iron items, wall carpets, all of these being placed according to the main areas of our country and their traditions. There is also a shop here where you can buy various souvenirs. In the inner yard of the museum which leads to Ion Mihalache Boulevard, there is a wooden church, which is a historical monument belonging to the 17th century (the church was shifted here in 1992).
ROMANIAN NATIONAL HISTORY MUSEUM
It is the most important Romanian museum and it contains historical valuable items that have been discovered on the Romanian territory since prehistoric times till contemporary times.
It contains more than 50000 original pieces and documents belonging to various fields. Among the exhibits with great historical value, we may mention “The brood hen with golden chickens” (it dates from the 4th century AD-attributed to the Visigoth king, Athanaric), pieces from the famous “Pietroasa Treasure”, that weigh almost 19 kg, and also a copy of Trajan’s Column” from Rome.
Situated in Cotroceni neighborhood from Bucharest, “Dimitrie Brandza” Botanical Garden of the University from Bucharest is an institution of culture, education and research. It was founded in 1860 during AL.I.Cuza’s reign. Nowadays, it has an area of 17, 5 ha and it is organized into sectors: outdoor sectors, populated by annual and perennial plants, (the decorative sector, the sector of rare plants, the sector of Mediterranean flora, the sector of Dobrujda flora, “Italian Garden” Sector, the collection of iris flowers, the sector of useful plants and the systematic sector), exhibit greenhouses that shelter the special compounds for plants belonging to different regions of the planet ( palm trees, orchids, exotic ferns, tropical and subtropical plants, succulent plants, cactus plants, bromelii) and production greenhouses.
It was built according to architect I.D.Berindei’s plans in the French Baroque style (1956). “George Enescu” Memorial Museum was inaugurated in Cantacuzino Palace and after 1990 it became a national museum. Beside the violin that Enescu received when he was 4, one can find here the scores of his works, diplomas and medals that he won, the most important one being the medal of the French Legion of Honor.
The edifice (declared an architecture monument) has four levels: a basement that represents the base of the building, a ground floor with circle arch-shaped windows and with banisters made of stone, a floor with straight windows equipped with forged iron balconies and an attic cu richly ornamented skylights. The interior is decorated with monumental paintings realized by G.D.Mirea, Costin Petrescu, Arthur Verona, Nicolae Isidor Vermont and sculptures realized by Fr. Storck and Em. W. Becker. Its façade is dominated by the entrance, neatly unhooked, preceded by ample stairs made of marble, “defended” by two stony lions. The Palace served as the residence of the Ministries’ Council, just before the World War II was about to burst.
COTROCENI NATIONAL PALACE
The Cotroceni ensemble stands alone in the Bucharest and national architectural scenery through its various components, each one with different functions and destinations. Its uniqueness is reflected in the lay architecture that dominated the Cotroceni ensemble (the palace, the medievals cellars, still existing today, the pavilion, the annexes, the manege, the gardener’s house, the greenhouses,) military (the Royal Guard), ecclesiastical (the monastery: the cells, the kitchen, the refectory, the vault, the bell tower, the church – the central edifice, the priestly houses, the chapel of the asylum for orphan girls – painted by Gh. Tatarescu – a famous Romanian artist), functional (the railway station), exotic (the Amerindian house in the garden), funerary monuments (those of princess Maria and of the Davila family), a large garden (part of it would later become the Botanical Garden), the military and exercise field, the Cotroceni city barrier.
Cotroceni witnessed important historical events.
Cotroceni is the only official residence in Romania that has been used for over 4 centuries.
Ghika Palace – history The Ghika Palace is one of the oldest Bucharest palaces.
Situated closed to the crossroad of Lacul Tei Bdul. with Doamna Ghica Street, the Ghika Palace encloses the south side of lake Plumbuita.
The Palace is built in the well-known new-classical style of the Italian architecture, with a touch of French Renascence, according to the western trends of the 19th century.
Along the years,Ghika Palace kept its initial shape, and during the 1978 it was heavily restored.
Nowadays, the Ghika Palace combines historical elements with modern ones, having a very up-to-date surveillance system, a fire-alarm, complete heating, Internet and telephony, as well as a parking lot of its own.
What really makes this palace unique is the huge green garden surrounding the palace, the Palace’s Gardens and thus assuring a quite and peaceful environment all around the place.
This is indeed a historical piece of architecture speaking about a long gone period in Romanian history, a troublesome past and a vivid tradition.
MOGOSOAIA PALACE & BRANCOVENESC MUSEUM
Located in the village of the same name on the shore of Mogosoaia Lake, this palace reflects the Brancovenesc architectural style, featuring traditional Romanian staircase balconies, arcades and columns. Built by the Walachian prince Constantin Brancoveanu between 1698 and 1702 as a summer residence, the palace features a beautiful Venetian-style loggia on the facade facing the lake and a balcony with intricate Brancovenesc-style carvings overlooking the main courtyard. Today, the palace houses the Brancovenesc Museum with exhibits of valuable paintings, wood and stone sculptures, gold and silver embroideries, rare books and precious manuscripts.
Inside the complex, there is also a church built in 1688 and decorated by a team of Greek artists. The original interior murals have been well-preserved, including a painting showing Constantin Brancoveanu with his wife, Maria, and their four sons and seven daughters, all wearing royal dress.
Situated in the heart of Bucharest, the Bragadiru Palace is located in Sector 5, near the Palace of the Parliament on Calea Rahovei 147-153. It is in walking distance from the Piata Regina Maria, Flower Market and Marriott Grand Hotel.
The Bragadiru Palace has accommodated an amazing array of events during the years from intimate dinner parties of 50 or more guests to grand cocktail parties with dancing of up to 400 guests. However, most events range from 100 to 250 guests.
The Village Museum is one of the first ethnographic museums in the world and the second ethnographic museum placed outdoors in the world, next to Ethnographic Museum from Stockholm.
Aiming at offering the best view of the life of the peasants, of their originality, of their remarkable artistic sense, the museum tries to recreate the intimate ambient of every house and succeeds in doing this, presenting to visitors elements specific to traditional households: barns, stables, fences made of wood, twigs or adobe, the simple or imposing gates, the inside of the house with the specific furniture pieces, working tools, traditional vessels, carpets and other woven items.
10 households were brought from Moldavia. They are the house from Straja (dating from 1760) and the house from Fundu Moldovei with large porch and balcony. Among the Dobrujda households, the most important are the house from Ostrov with a porch supported by two beautifully ornamented pillars, the Lippovan household (1898) and the fishing ground, both from Jurilocva. The traditional architecture from Walachia can be seen in the beautiful household from Chiojdu, which was built with boulders. It has a balcony supported by carved pillars and the balustrade is made of fret worked board.
From Oltenia, two ancient houses were brought (the cottages from Draghiceni and Castranova), but among other households from this area of the country, the house from Curtisoara (dating from the beginning of the 19th century) is the most imposing, typical for the houses built on hills. Transylvania offers us a great diversity of buildings: the house from Salciua (The land of the “moti”-Tara Motilor) presenting a thatch, the simple house from Dumitra, made of twigs glued with clay, the house from Dragus, which is richly ornamented at the outside (towels, enameled ceramics, carpets etc). Among the technical installations placed in the museum, we mention the wind mill from Dobrujda, the pottery shed from Horezu, whirlpools set into motions by water etc.
ROYAL PALACE – THE NATIONAL ART MUSEUM
Inaugurated in 1950, The National Gallery shelters the works of many famous painters, like Theodor Aman, Nicolae Grigorescu, Stefan Luchian, Nicolae Tonitza, Theodor Pallady and sculptors: Dimitrie Paciurea, Constantin Medrea, Ion Jalea and the famous Constantin Brancusi. The patrimony of the museum contains 4000 engravings and sketches belonging to several Romanian and foreign artists.
This hall consists of three galleries and two collections of decorative art.
The European Art Gallery: is situated in the Kretulescu wing and has been recently re-opened. The paintings of the most representative painters of Europe can be seen here, painters from the Renaissance period till the first decades of the 20th century. Beside the painting collection of the Romanian Royal House, the masterpieces of the European Art can be as well admired: “Madonna with child” by Domenico Veneziano, “Haman begging Esther for forgiveness” by Rembrandt, “Man with ring” by Jan Van Eyck , “Camille” by Claude Monet, “The age”, “The kiss”, “The Spring” by Auguste Rodin stc.
The Old Romanian Art Gallery: is situated at the first floor of Stirbei Sector and contains 9500 masterpieces, which are exposed in 7 halls. These items conjure up the cultural life from Walachia, Moldavia and Transylvania. In three of the 7 halls, you can see laic and cult items made of precious metals; jewelry and costume accessories belonging to 14th-19th centuries.
The Modern Romanian Art Gallery: there are 8479 paintings and 1817 sculptors and it is situated at the second floor of the Stirbei Sector. One of the galleries is exclusively dedicated to the sculptor Constantin Brancusi and it exposes works from his youth and later years: “Torture”, “Child Head”, “The Slumber”, “Prometheus”, “Prayer”.
The decorative art collection used to be part of the Universal Art Gallery, along side the European painting and sculpture and an assembly of Oriental Art items. The collection consists of nearly 10000 items of European Art, including Romanian Art as well, being the most important collection in Romania and exposes Romanian tapestry works, furniture pieces, ceramics, a collection of clocks and also silver ware items done in Augsburg, Berlin or Nurnberg.
The Oriental Art collection gained its autonomy in 1990 and it contains the most representative set of items from The Islamic Orient, China and Japan that have ever existed in a Romanian museum. There are almost 400 carpets, woven items, paintings, ivory items, Chinese and Japan porcelains, wooden sculptures, weapons and textiles.
OLD CITY CENTER – HISTORIC CENTRE
The cobblestone streets between Calea Victoriei, Bulevardul Bratianu, Bulevardul Regina Elisabeta and the River Dîmbovita still comprise Bucharest’s most atmospheric area and increasingly are home to an alternative culture of clubs, bars, trendy coffee houses and restaurants – most lively when they spill onto the cobbled streets (or overtake empty lots) during summer. At its heart is the 15th-century Curtea Veche (Old Court), attributed to Vlad Tepes, which contains a few walls, arches, tombstones and one restored Corinthian column. Next door is Bucharest’s oldest church, the 16th-century Biserica Curtea Veche. Just east of here is the oldest inn, Hanul lui Manuc, Strada Franceza 62-64, which is still an inexpensive hotel with a basement restaurant and courtyard cafe-bar.
North of here is Strada Lipscani, an old merchant street where everything from bridal gowns and handmade hats to cheap jeans are sold. Near its east end is a small alley called Hanul cu Tei, filled with antique shops. A block south of Strada Lipscani to the west is Strada Stavropoleos where the remarkable Biserica Stavropoleos can be visited. This church, completed in 1724, could easily qualify as the city’s most beautiful, not least because its frescoes and icons have recently been restored and it is surrounded by a peaceful cloister garden filled with various antiquities and 19th-century tombstones. The church was designed by Constantin Brancoveanu (1688-1714), a Wallachian prince known for his religious architectural achievements.